Sunday, June 13, 2010

Only six days left!

Only six days remain in my campaign to raise funds for the LLS! 
I can't believe that the ten weeks are almost at an end. Although I have become a bit more competitive, and am hoping that I might have a chance of winning this fundraising competition, I know that the most important part of this campaign is the money we have raised for blood cancer research. I think I am about to reach my fundraising goal, which I honestly thought I had set too high when we started. It's amazing how generous people can be. I am honored and humbled by the depth of generosity shown by my friends and family, as well as people by who I have never even met who have donated to this campaign.


Last week my mother and I were greatly inspired by an event at the Cortona Park Residence, a residence for retired people in Brentwood, California. We were invited to speak about my campaign and to show a video of 54321WPT at Cortona Park by my mother's friend Cherly Ortiz. I didn't realize that she had already spoken to the residents about our campaign, and on arrival she presented me with a donation put together by the residents. This was a wonderful reminder of the power people have when working together, as their combined donations made the residents of Cortona Park one of the biggest donors to my campaign! 


With Cherly Ortiz and my mother, Zivile Rawson




Our presentation was really fun. The room was packed, and the audience seemed truly interested in the story of my treatment and recovery, my campaign for the LLS, the work of the LLS, and my ballet. They were possibly the most appreciative audience that we have had yet for this ballet, gasping at lifts and high leg extensions, clapping out loud at the end of each movement, and offering interesting and insightful commentary after the ballet had finished. Some of the residents also shared with me their personal experiences with the diseases that we are fighting to cure, and those of their families. This was truly moving, and I am more motivated than ever to do what I can in order to support this cause. 


With a resident of Cortona Park


Ballet San Jose has stepped up once again in support of my campaign, and the items that the company has come up with for the silent auction are really fantastic. Principal Dancer Maria Jacobs-Yu has volunteered to do a personal appearance at a "Ballerina Birthday Party." I am so grateful to Maria for her generosity. To have an artist of her caliber attend a little girl's party will be a dream come true, so hopefully this donation will raise a good deal of money for the LLS. 


Maria Jacobs-Yu in "Firebird," Photo by John Gerbetz


Shannon Bynum has donated Pilates lessons to be paired with Harriet McMeekin's GYROTONIC® sessions in a "Work Out with the Dancers" package. A "Ballerina Photo Shoot" is also being offered, in which the winning bidder will have a costume consultation with Ballet San Jose Costume Director and Resident Designer Maggie Heaman, will have hair and makeup done by Ballet San Jose Hair and Makeup Designer Robin Church, and then sit for a photo shoot with portrait artist Paul Tumason. Finally the Ballet San Jose School has donated a series of ten adult ballet classes, and Ballet San Jose has donated two season tickets to the 2010/2011 season. 


The LLS staff seemed pretty excited and impressed by these auction items, and they decided that each candidate's table should have a theme. Mine would obviously be themed to ballet. I'm sure by now this is not a huge surprise to anyone; as a good friend of mine once said when describing me, with me you get "all ballet, all the time!" 


BSJ's Maggie Heaman has agreed to attend the event, and to decorate the table displaying these items. She is going to bring a Tsarina tutu from the Nutcraker, which is pretty amazing to see up close, my Tsarina tiara which I wore onstage, and mountains of tulle to make this table stand out. I am excited to see the result, I know it will be beautiful.


It's been an exciting and inspiring run so far, and I think we really raised a respectable amount of money! I am tempted to give out what I think my total is right now, (although I don't know what exactly is going on with mailed in donations) but I think there's something a bit impolite about that, so I will wait and share only the combined totals of the San Jose candidates. I can't wait to know what that number will be, and I really feel like all of us have made a difference, and that together we are doing something worthwhile and important.



1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete